According to recent white paper from Marine Software that analysed performance of advertising with over $6B of annualised budget, mobile device use for browsing Internet continues to grow rapidly. Consumers spend 1/3 of time online using smartphones and tablet. What is interesting however that people still prefer to use desktop for online purchases: the conversion rates there are 30% (for display advertising) to almost 4 times (for social) higher than on smartphones.
The inforgaphic below shows share in impressions, clicks and conversion rate for different devices and platforms.
Several other interesting figures from the research:
- Desktops are loosing click share mostly to smartphones, share of tablets remains more stable
- Advertisers spent almost 50% of their budget on mobile devices
- One of the biggest challenge is to correctly attribute mobile advertising that leads to conversion for multi-device user journey
- Advertisers invest more than previously in mobile search ads while reduced a bit budget for mobile display advertising
- While over 50% of all social impressions happens on mobile, 65% of conversions are coming from desktop